Apr 12, 2013

Kadalai Paruppu Poli / Obbattu

This is the first time I am making Poli. I have seen my mom and my MIL preparing it but never tried it. This time for New Year I wanted to make a sweet which I had never tried . 



So took some suggestions from my Mother and got ready to prepare it. It turned out so soft and yummy which I really did not expect. I was very happy for the results that now I am planning to make them again :) . Happy New Year to Everyone. Here is my very first festive recipe. Hoping to add many more recipes to this list with your support and  encouragement :)

Ingredients :

For the puranam or stuffing :

Chana dal - 1 cup
Jaggery or Sugar - 1 cup
Cardamom powder - 1 tsp
Ghee - 1 tsp

For the poli wrap :

Whole Wheat Flour - 2 cups
Sesame Oil - 2 tbsp
Warm milk - as needed for the dough

Method :

Pressure cook chana dal in a cup of water. Drain out the water and save it for use in any other recipe.Let the dal dry and lose its moisture content. 
Meanwhile add whole wheat flour , oil in a bowl. Add warm milk and knead it into a soft an pliable dough. 
Add milk generously. The dough has to be moist so that it is easy to add the stuffing. Let the dough rest for an hour.
Grind the chana dal along with sugar and cardamom powder to a smooth paste.



Cook the chana dal paste for 3 to 4 minutes so that any left over water content is also lost. Allow it to cool for 10 - 15 mins , then we will get a soft consistency.


Now make balls out of the prepared stuffing. I could make 13 of them for the given quantity.Take a lemon sized ball of the wheat dough. Spread it to thick layer(around 3 to 3.5 cm diameter)


.Now place the stuffing on the chapathi. Seal the stuffing with the chapathi.

 Pinch of any extra dough. Dust with flour and carefully spread the dough to a thin layer .


Heat a tawa and cook the poli. Next flip it over to cook the other side. I did not use oil now.

Finally Serve it with a dollop of ghee on the poli.



My Notes :

  • Most of them use maida or all purpose flour for the poli wrap. It is elastic and easy to cover the stuffing without tearing the dough. I prefer wheat flour. We can also use maida.
  • The chana dal can also be grinded to a coarse paste if you like a crunchier purnam. We need to be careful while spreading the poli. But as I was trying for the first time, I did not take any risk :)
  • See that the chana dal is doesn't have too much moisture otherwise it tends to come out of the poli while spreading. 






No comments:

Post a Comment