Feb 12, 2013

Collard Greens Curry or Masiyal


            I love to add greens as a part of our diet at least of 2 times a week. Back in India we used to have them daily as we used to buy them as and when required. My mother suggests me to use greens in the maximum possible way especially for my kid.




As we don’t get many Indian green varieties here in US, I started discovering about Western Greens. So finally came up with this recipe. I found that they are equally tastier and I make this dish almost every week. I have taken reference from here, but modified  according to my taste.


Ingredients:

Collard Greens – 1 bunch
Tomatoes – 2
Moong dal – ¼ cup
Grated coconut – 2 tsp
Green chillies – 2
Chopped Ginger – 1 tsp
Red chillies -2


Method :

  • Chop collard greens length wise. They might seem long, but it is ok as we cook them in the pressure cooker.
  • Add the moong dal, chopped greens, tomatoes, green chillies and ginger with water in the order specified in a pressure cooker.
  • Boil it for 2 whistles . After the pressure subsides, drain the water.
  • Let the greens cool down. Add this cooked mixture to a mixie and grind it just once. It should not be too smooth.
  • Temper some mustard seeds and cumin seeds and red chillies in a pan. To this add the grinded mixture.
  • Sauté for a few minutes. Add salt and grated coconut. Collard Greens Masiyal is ready to be served with rice or chapathis.






My Notes :

  • The water used to cook collard greens is very tasty. OS don’t throw it away. It can be used in gravies or even for sambar or rasam.
  • In general the greens we get in US do not get too mushier
  • The quantity also doesn’t get reduced as it happens with the Indian green varieties. SO this can be served as lunch for 2 people

No comments:

Post a Comment