Jan 14, 2013

STUFFED CHIILI BAJJI / MIRCHI BAJJI / MOLAGA BAJJI



   I guess all the Hyderabadis would be knowing very well about a Mirchi bajji. It is a very famous snack in Andhra Pradesh. But I have not seen much of a stuffed chilli bajji in Chennai. So as soon as I made it at home, it came as surprise for everyone.
      Also I have seen the chillies very big and long that we can easily make 2 bajjis from a single chilli. From my experience (that is very low :D but still) I guess the bigger the chillies, the less spicier they are. So I think we can use the normal ones which we get in the grocery store itself for this recipe. The Recipe is as follows.





 Ingredients :

Filling for the chillies :

4 Green chillies  long and thick
¼ cup chana dal
¼ cup urad dal
¼ cup peanuts
¼ cup sesame seeds
¼ cup roasted gram or chutney dal
3 to 4 red chillies
Half a tomato - Optional


For the Bajji batter:

¼ cup Gram Flour
½ cup Rice flour  
Salt as per taste
Red chilli powder
A pinch of hing


Method :

Dry Roast the Chana dal, urad dal, sesame seeds , roasted gram and the red chillies separately. Let them cool. I dry roasted them, you can roast them in little oil too.

Grind these dals  along with half piece of a tomato in a mixer with little water.

Slit the Chillies length wise. If they are long you can cut it into two horizontally also. My chillies were too long to fit in the pan. So I cut them into two.




Remove the seeds from the chillies. If you like them to be spicy you need not remove the seeds. I did that.


Now fill the chillies with the grounded mixture and keep it ready.


Make the batter with all the ingredients and very little water to get a thick paste.

Dip the filled chillies into the batter and deep fry them in oil until golden brown.


Serve them with any chutney.

My Notes :



I added chana dal and urad dal as I needed more stuffing for the big chillies. You could omit them.

I added tomato for the sour taste as a substitute for tamarind.

I prefer adding a pinch of hing to any bajji batter because we add gram flour which may not be easily digestible for everyone. Hing helps in digestion. 

Sending to What is with my cuppa and Nupur's page




1 comment:

  1. wow that is sooooo delicious and tongue tickling!! Thanks for linking it to my event!! Looking for more yummy recipes!!
    Sowmya
    Ongoing Event - Tried and Tasted - Raks Kitchen
    Ongoing Event - Know Your Dairy - Cheese
    Ongoing Event - Dish it out - Lentils & Garlic
    Ongoing Event - What is with my Cuppa

    ReplyDelete